Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Please see my new blog :)

http://30yearoldgrappler.blogspot.com/2017/02/welcome.html


Mirrored:

Welcome

You might have seen my previous blog at http://doomedrunner.blogspot.com/ - and I might mirror some of these posts for a while there, but for now, here is my new site.

The history on that is this:

  • I am a (now 34 year old) who was told around age 25 that I would be on a cane by 30 due to some military related injuries and mileage on my bones.
  • Instead, by 30 I ran a 50 mile race, have run multiple ultra-marathons, and as late as 33, placed overall in trail races (latest was 5th).
  • I attempted a few 100 mile races and was not successful.

I have tried to keep it going, but... to be honest... I have started to lose interest in ultra running. I think it is temporary, but for right now, running has lost its fun. A large part of this is a new job that does not have showers... so I can'r run at lunch. Trying to get myself up in the early AM to run enough miles is just not happening. 

I still wanted to stay in shape. And I was looking for an activity that both my son and I could enjoy now that football is over, and we found Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at a nearby dojo. I have a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, with experience in multiple other martial arts including Karate and Krav Maga, but not a lot of grappling experience (minimal from seminars and military).

The place we found is great. My 8 year old son and I both started right after the new year and we are both loving it.

My goals are really to stay in shape, and develop BJJ fitness and get myself back to running as well. I workout to live, not to be a health freak that never enjoys life. But this requires staying active. I think it would be fun to get really good too. 

According to him...his goal is to be an MMA fighter one day, lol. Along with being an astronaut of course...


So I am going to use this space to chronicle our journey together. One aspect I am interested in for myself is the fact that multiple message boards talking about people in their 30s being too old to start. I think this is true if your plan is to be a UFC fighter or world champion... by the time you have 10 years experience you are in your 40s and the body just does not respond the same. By the time you work your career up you could be 50... But I think I could be in shape to hang with the average guy in the gym for quite some time. And for my son, it will be neat to see how good he gets if he sticks with it.


So there is the intro piece... more to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment