Monday, March 3, 2014

Training update! Running, pushing, drinking, building!


After a couple of good weeks of ramping up miles to the high 30s/low 40s, last week was kind of a bust. The plan was a few 4-6 mile runs, then 18 and 5 on the weekend. Weather and meetings at work got in the way and I basically ended up with about 10 miles during the week and 5 on the weekend.

With a newborn at home most of my weekday miles will have to be at lunch for a while. I leave the house at 6:15 AM and return at 5:30 PM. With my wife still recovering from a rough delivery I'm not going to spend my evenings running while she manages a small kid and a baby. So it's homework, dinner, baths, and bedtime stories until 8:30. Then I've got two hours to spend with my wife and shower before it's my turn to feed the baby at 10:30. A run just doesn't fit in.

She does let me get away on weekend mornings so that's where my bread and butter is. But on weeks like last week, where I have co stand meetings and "suit days," it becomes hard. Add in weather, and boom, you have low mileage.

I know that this is not every week though, and I've had good training weeks, so I'm not going to get too upset over it. Plus, I've been doing great on ramping up my body weight workouts.

With being as busy as I am, I have to find unique ways to get in strength training. So, I have set a goal of doing 1000 push-ups, crunches, and squats in a day, at least 3 times a week. To get there, each week I add 100. This week I'm at 500, and not all at once. One day is push up day, another could be squat, another crunch. So yesterday I did 500 push-ups, 500 crunches. Today I'll do 500 squats, 250 push-ups, 250 crunches. Once I get to 1000, I'll work on getting to 1000 of each, all in one day. 

Distributing the workout through the day makes it mentally easier, but at the end of the day it's still hard. And on busy days, that means getting a lot at once. I'm already seeing results. When I lifted weights, I was an "easy gainer" and that's still true.

At 5'6, my 162 weight is higher than I'd like, especially with my race weight being 140 at Rocky raccoon, but my waist is 32" so I feel okay. I'm going to focus more on health than a particular weight and am hoping overall strength helps me in tough ultras.

That's my update, and here's my beer of the week:

I had 2 of these Saturday night. I thought it was okay. Maybe 7/10. The alcohol came through a big strong and I expected much more pronounced hops.

Also, the beard growth is coming in. Yes, I've started growing my hair and beard. The front growth is good, but the sides are lagging. I try not to trim too much, but finally did this weekend to wait for that lagging side growth. Here's some beard progress:

After an early morning feeding...

And after a trim...  The wife is lobbying for a trimmed beard, which I've mostly agreed to, with the exception of races. I have to say, not only do I like the looks of a beard, I'm enjoying not shaving a lot.


Oh! And Logan is doing great in his 5k training! We ran/walk/jogged 2 miles Saturday and he loved it. May 18th will be his first 5k!

Still smiling after two miles!!

And of we didn't to have enough going on, we are building a house! Here are some progress pics from the last month!






Back, covered patio showing, detached garage not up yet.


I can't wait to have a balcony!

Until next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment