Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Triumphant Return of Me




The last time I ran was August 25th. After an ankle injury in June, I hobbled through July and most of August without it getting better. The last run was a 3 mile run at a 9 minute per mile pace. I felt bad and the ankle was in severe pain. I ran 15 miles that week, and 1 the prior week. Taking a little bit of time off here and there was not helping and I was gaining weight (fat) quick as my miles went down. So here was the plan. Take some time completely off running, but do something to stay in shape in during the time being. So I chose to start Insanity.

Insanity is broken down in to 1 month of hard workouts, then 1 week of easy workouts, then 1 month of even harder workouts. The plan was and is to finish month 1, then start adding evening runs in during my easy week and do the same throughout insanity. So on October 8th, I will run 1 mile. I will do it somewhat quickly, I hope, and then do the same on Wednesday and Friday. The next week I will add a mile to each of my runs, so 2 miles, 3 times per week. I will do this throughout the rest of Insanity until during the final week of Insanity, I am also running 5 miles, 3 times per week. The Sunday of the last week will by my first race since El Scorcho. It is a 5K and I hope to do well. I will be running for Team Save Second Base in honor of my mother, a heroic breast cancer survivor. I ran this race barefoot last year in 22:12. That was 15th in my age group. Probably the last time I did not place at least for my age group in a 5K. By last May I was running in the 18:30s on the track and around 19 on the street for this distance and that is what I HOPE I am close to.

So here it is my goal. I would like to place for my age group. Now that I am 30, I am actually in a faster age group. Last year it would have taken a 20:25 pace to place. In May, before I was injured, I could have easily made that pace. For now, we shall see. Perhaps this is too much of a goal for my first race back... 

No comments:

Post a Comment