Sunday, May 13, 2012

This Week in My Barefoot Running Journey: Thinking About Pace

In today's blog... Barefoot Group Run, Other People Doing Awesome Things, Beer of the Night, El Scorcho/Cactus Rose Training, Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down, Shout OUT!, SHUT UP DEBBIE GIBSON!!!

Barefoot Group Run


We had a good run this weekend in Kyle! There were four of us, Jim (the father of barefoot running in Austin, and when I say father, I should probably say grandfather!, The Professor, me, and Andrew, who lives a in the neighborhood next to mine). I got crap for my long shirt, but I like the shirt and that is the only size they had. Plus, I was the only one man enough to rock the short shorts! Hopefully we will have a few more of these in the future in Kyle!

Other People Doing Awesome Things

Just a short note. I followed a few people I know through the Internet doing the Zion 100 this week and they all DNF'd. Apparently it was amazingly hard. And they all seem tougher than me. I'm a bit more nervous than I was before about Cactus Rose. 100 miles is no freaking joke. Anyone who attempts a 100 miler is awesome to me, and my goal is to be awesome too. I can't wait to join the wonderful brotherhood and sisterhood of people I respect so much that have attempted the 100 mile distance!

Beer of the Night

It's a new one! 



Real Ale Devil's Backbone! It is a sweet, malty, great summer beer. It is 8.1% ABV, which can really be sneaky on you because this one does not taste alcoholy (new word!) at all, but it is really great. 

El Scorcho/Cactus Rose Training

This has been a decent week in running, thought it was my scheduled low week after a slight injury week. The plan right now calls for 3 weeks of building followed by a week of low mileage, then I go back to the previous week's effort, and back up again and so on and so on. So far this has somewhat worked out, but last week was pretty low because of some kid issues and other things. This week was a scheduled low week and it could not have come at a better time! I have been dealing with some top of foot pain and a slight ankle sprain. But this week, back to it!

                                                   

I've been thinking a lot about how I will pace at El Scorcho. I have been running for less than a year and a half now. In that time I have run several 5Ks, 2 10ks, 1 Half Marathon, 1 Marathon, and 1 50 miler. On the 5Ks, I have raced a few and got a PR of about 20 minutes on a race, but 18:46 at the track.


I have run 2 10Ks. I did about 56 minutes at the 2011 Cap 10K right when I was starting out with about a 56 minute run. I ran Hells Hills a few weeks ago with about a 47 minute time (8th overall) on the trail and have done 39:12 on the track.


My only half marathon was in August of 2011 at the Hottest Half. It was about 2:05. It was hot as Hell. I had a HUGE  blister.


And I was not yet in shape. I ran a marathon as a training run for the 50 miler, but it was a training run. 

What I'm saying is... only recently have I gone from showing up at races just hoping to finish and wanting to RACE. I hope to get a half marathon and a full marathon sometime in the next year at my hardest pace, and even a 10K, but first is El Scorcho. And I HAVE NO IDEA how to pace myself? So... for now, run until I collapse? Sounds good. I think it will be a flat course, so I am thinking something like an 8 minute per mile pace might be my absolute limit. 4 hours and 8 minutes. We'll see, I guess,

Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down for the Week

Thumbs Up - Aubrey being kicked off before the finals of Celebrity Apprentice!
Thumbs Down - Lisa Lampenelli for showing her true colors on that show!
Thumbs Down - Me for being so obsessed with that show!
Thumbs Up - The Avengers - really good movie and it made a hell of a lot of money
Thumbs Up - Summer Olympics 2012. I don't know if I have ever looked so forward to the Olympics. Now, in 2008 I was really into the Olympics because I had a newborn. So I was up at 2 AM watching those obscure events. My wife wants to have a baby and we talked about next spring... but you know, there is something to be said for scheduling your babies around being able to watch the Olympics.
Thumbs Down - having to delete a thumbs down because I remember where I work.
Thumbs Down - society for making me shave.

Shout OUT!

http://www.thatpinkgirl.com/2012/05/tres-tri.html - That Pink Girl for making me want to do a tri! Maybe I'll start out with a lady tri. Women in bathing suits motivate me!


No comments:

Post a Comment