Saturday, May 19, 2012

Of Mice and Runners and the Kyle Ultra Fat Ass

My plan was to have back to backs started. My plan was to run 20 miles today. And 15 tomorrow. Instead. 0 and 0. Why?

A few weeks ago I started getting Top of Foot Pain, which is common in barefoot runners from overuse. But my mileage was low, so I decided it was just an odd thing and kept trotting. The Top of Foot Pain got better, but I must have altered my gait. Because I quickly had a sprained ankle. I tried to run with it and think it would get better too. I lowered my mileage and called that rest. I said I'd run easy and did this:

And I got up today dreading running 20 miles. Because I knew that if I did, I'd be in more pain. And more pain this week, and then I'm 2 weeks out from The Ranch. Way to close up to be injured. And it was early. My wife had to be somewhere today and I just was not into it. So I did the smart thing for once and did not run.

Now it is 2 PM and I am going nuts. I need some miles. I NEED THEM! DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?!?!?!



So, I am going to make myself feel better about being smart and be stupid. I am going to run an Ultra Fat Ass next Saturday morning in Kyle.

You see, it's an ultra because it is 26.3 miles! "Hey, you are running 26 miles?" "NO, 26 POINT THREE MOTHER FU$%ER!!!"

So I am not going to run again until my ankle feels better. Unless we get to Saturday. Then all bets are off. But I think from the level of pain it will be better in a few days if I can just make  myself not run.

But this throws me off for El Scorcho and for Cactus Rose. I was supposed to have a couple back to back runs under my belt for El Stupido... but nope!

Sunday Date  Su M T W Th F S
5/20/2012 0 0 6 6 4 0 26.3
5/27/2012 0 0 6 6 6 0 10
6/3/2012   0 4 3 2 0 0       0
6/10/2012 18.6 0 6 6 6 0 20 - The Ranch Week
6/17/2012 0 3 6 6 6 3 27
6/24/2012 5 3 6 6 6 2 20
7/1/2012 5 0      5 4 4      3      10
7/8/2012 6 0 4 3 2 0 0
7/15/2012 31 0 2 3 4 0 0 - El Scorcho Week

Instead, that is my El Scorcho schedule. For Cactus Rose, I will start up on smaller back to backs after that and work up to a 30 and 30 back to back for an 85 mile peak week. I wish it was 100 but I just doubt it will be. Though work events have led me to believe Cactus Rose may be a dream. I should know in a couple months what my October weekends will look like, but it may be down to the wire. So the plan is to train as if I can race it and if I can't only DNS due to work. 

But the Cactus Rose plan looks more like this:
Su    M    T     W     Th     F    Sa
0 3 3 3 3 3 0 -Cruise week!!!
10 0 6 6 6 0 15
15 3 6 6 6 0 18
18 3 6 6 6 3 20
20 3 6 6 6 3 22
22 0 6 6 6 0 15
15 5 6 6 6 5 25
25 5 6 6 6 5 28
28 5 5 5 5 5 30
30 0 5 5 5 0 15
15 0 5 5 5 0 15
6 0 5 5 3 0 10
6 0 5 5 3 0 5
6 0 2 2 2 0 50 -Cactus Rose
50




Oh yeah, cruise week! The week after El Scorcho we will be back in the DFW for a wedding, then off to New Orleans to embark on a five night cruise. Last year we went to Galveston for my brother's wedding and could not really afford a vacation and the trip/wedding, so we made a vacation out of that. The year before that we went to Aspen and that was our last REAL vacation.




So, even though things are a tadddd tight right now, I decided to take a vacation.  I will need one before the legislative session starts, which really ramps up for me the fall before session. I actually figured out if we could skip eating out for just 1 weekend a month, we would save what we paid over what we would have paid for our staycation

My goal is to stay in good enough shape to be able to do a R2R2R run if that works out that May with the two other runners...

Anyhow, everything is just not good right now. But I feel like, if I can get that run in next week... things will work out.


But seriously, my summer is booked:
This weekend - parents in town
Next - father in law in town

The Next - hey! A free weekend!
The next - The Ranch
The next- In DFW for a bachelorette party for my wife and El Scorcho Night Training Run! "Bubba Hotep" one of the barefoot running trio from Rocky Raccoon will be there too! If you are coming out and I'm not there yet, just look for this guy:


The next: Emily's Friend's wedding
The next: July 4th activities, possible company
The next: Family friend wedding and off to cruise!
The next: Cruise!
The next: Logan's 4th bday party!
The next: Time to start getting back to school clothes and such for wife and kid!!! And then summer is almost over! Plus my mom's bday..

Seriously. I need to find some more races to fit in there.

Also. I saw a human body with a horses head taking the trash in a few houses away yesterday. Seriously. Ask Emily.

2 comments:

  1. I have never sported just the stash! We need to figure out a training weekend out on the Cactus Rose course. I am thinking of heading out on a Friday afternoon and running one loop at dusk / night, then getting up and running a loop early and then again late afternoon. That would be 75 miles in about 30 hours.

    ReplyDelete