Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Yu Darvish is Awesome and a Training Update

First, I gotta take my hat off to Yu Darvish. I am watching the Rangers dominate the Yankees (who I hate) and his performance has been one of the most entertaining I have seen in a while.

And my beer is good too!


And on to training...

I am finally building back up for the first time since Rocky Raccoon, really. 


As you can see, I did not get right back into it after RRUM. My weeks were pretty low as I tried to recover from ITBS, finally took a week off, and then got strep. The past week I have either had a cold or my first time with allergies as an adult, but it has been okay. I should go above 50 miles this week. I will peak before El Scorcho at 77 miles and have a peak week of 100 miles before Cactus Rose. I am trying to push a tad harder on my runs than I did when training for RRUM. At least until El Scorcho. I felt somewhat vindicated in this after reading an article by Scott Jurek tonight (http://running.competitor.com/2012/04/inside-the-magazine/the-long-run-picking-up-the-tempo_51280).

As my weeks get more and more comfortable, I need to add more elevation.

Today I had a tiny bit of elevation at the beginning and end of my lunch run:


Most of it was flat trail. This was basically from my office, around Lady Bird Lake, and back up Congress then 15th.

I am sure some of my runs around campus have more elevation, but either way, I definitely need to add more.


Looking at the Cactus Rose elevation profile. this is just not going to cut it. I need to find out if the local high school stadium will let me run the bleachers or not. It would be a pretty nice run since it is about 5 miles away, I could run there, do a bunch of bleachers, and run back. I also plan on a Bandera road trip sometime in May to check it out. Hopefully I can rope someone else into it. I may put it on the Austin Barefoot Runners Club meetup to see if I can get any takers.

Basically I am rolling the crap out of my leg to keep it better, but it is doing well. Other items I need to cover and do are adding strength training and calories as I ramp up. But the take-aways are:

  • Mileage is increasing.
  • Pain is decreasing.
  • Effort and pace are better (was doing long runs at 11 or so for RRUM, now generally <9mm.
  • Shocktop Beer is good.
  • Yu is awesome.
  • Elevation increase is needed.
Now to try to keep myself from staying up all night watching Game of Thrones. I'm such a nerd.




1 comment:

  1. I am up for a Bandera training run sometime this summer. My phone busted and I had to get a new one and need your number, shot me a text.

    ReplyDelete