Saturday, November 12, 2011

Running for My Hero

Tomorrow, my family and I are participating in our 2nd Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure as Team Save Second Base. We have done a couple more before that without an official team name.
While I train for my first 50 miler, I've taken a break from long runs this week to run a 5K. It has been an interesting week for me. I've been sick as a dog and I have kind of been complaining about that all week - with the fact that I'm running an event Sunday. But it kind of fits. Being sick and not feeling well and yet pushing on is what this event is all about. Of course how I feel in no way compares to what my mother went through with breast cancer in 2005 and 2006, but it helps me to think about it that way when I remind myself not to quit. And not just in that, but in life.
In 2005, just as I was being sent to Iraq, my mother was beginning another battle, with breast cancer. I can't imagine the stress. Not only was my mother worrying about me every day and watching the news to see if she saw my face, she was fighting her own battle, and there had to be a worry for her own survival. But I never heard her once complain. Our phone calls were never complaint sessions for her, but her asking me how I was doing. I must have just been naive, but I never knew just how real this was. My mom never let me know. She went through the battle of her life and all she could think of was me.

My mother is my hero. She always will be. I can't wait to run this race tomorrow, and most of all to continue to be blessed with the presence of my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment